Saturday 20 April 2013

Gravel is not Compost

I sowed several trays with seeds yesterday. In preparation for this I had purchased a bag of seed compost from a local garden centre some days earlier. It had been produced by a company called, Bulrush Horticulture Limited. This was the first time that I had purchased this particular, "brand." It promises to be the last.

 

One of the features for seed compost is that it needs to be be finely graded. On the reverse of the compost bag it is stated that this product is, "... produced from quality screened and sterilised loam." The screening employed for the production of the particular bag which I purchased appears to have permitted gravel to be a constituent part of its contents. This is unacceptable. I will not be purchasing another bag of Bulrush compost.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment