Friday 7 September 2012

Onions But Not Spanish

"Ailsa Craig " - 7th September 2012
I forked up the onions a fortnight ago. The foliage has died down pretty well and in view of the rain which is now in the offing I decided to lift them this morning. .The varieties which I have grown this year are Ailsa Craig and Red Baron. The latter does not produce bulbs which are quite as large as those of Ailsa Craig. Red Baron is more of a salad onion and the flesh is quite sweet. I grew both onions by way of sets. Lazy I know. I usually try to grow some by seed.

I will complete the drying off process in the greenhouse. The bulbs are now safely ensconced there. When the stalks are totally desiccated  and before the first frosts I  will then move the onions into the cellar and store them in an apple storage unit which I have. These should last me through until Easter

"Red Baron." - 7th September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment