Tuesday 21 August 2012

Tomatoes at Last


I have never known my tomatoes to be so dilatory in ripening. But at last I am able to go out to the greenhouse in the morning dew and pick myself a tomato for breakfast. At that time of day I favour them raw with a smidgen of salt, or alternatively lightly fried with a handful of wild mushrooms and a couple of rashers of bacon to provide the protein fix. Whilst the tomato crop is as yet predominately green it does seem to be a heavy crop. Even the first trusses, which  as a rule tend to be rather light, have up to twelve good sized tomatoes.

Hopefully we have above average sunlight hours for the next five to six weeks and I don't end up with too many green tomatoes. With the number of plants which I have there will inevitably be more tomatoes than I can use on a day to day basis. The excess will be used for soup and chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment