Wednesday 1 August 2012

I'm Running in the Rain

Track athletics is primarily a summer sport. After the cold and dark winter months competing and training on the road or on grass I look forward to a warm spring and sunny summer when I can concentrate on speed sessions and fast reps. It should not be a time when I  have wet kit clawing at me. Rather it should be a time when the sun is beating down on me. It should be a time when spectators at athletic meetings are applying copious quantities of sunscreen, not giving Usain Bolt a run for his money as they try to avoid being soaked in a torrential downpour. 

This past week has been depressingly wet. The only day I managed to avoid a drenching was Monday. Yesterday was particularly bad as I and two others squelched our way around the track. Not only was it raining but the inside lane was a solid long puddle - four hundred metres in length. My hands were alternatively wet and numb. When the session was over we did what we still insisted on calling a cool down. It wasn't. We never became warm in the first place. It was a , "colder down." I was so cold that I lit the woodburner when I arrived home. Thoughts of a hot whiskey crossed my mind.


Wet socks!

I hope that the weather picks up for the track and field events at the Olympics. These events start on Friday. I always think that when they start the Olympics truly start.

No comments:

Post a Comment