Friday 2 November 2012

Valletta from the Sea

This morning I took to the waters off Valletta for a cruise around the harbours courtesy of  Captain Morgan Cruises. I can't say that it was the most comfortable vessel I have ever travelled on. The legroom reminded me of a budget airline and the seating was undoubtedly the most uncomfortable that I have ever experienced. I would not be surprised if I was told that the seats came from a 1960's school dining room. No tots of grog were doled out to ease the discomfort.

The medieval city walls are quite impressive from the water although the towering modern liners tied up to the quay take away from the view somewhat. I could not help from thinking that I was seeing a snapshot of Lilliput.

Thankfully there was not too much of a swell even when the vessel passed out of Marsamxett Harbour and passed Fort St Elmo before entering The Grand Harbour. There is a tall navigation light at the end of the breakwater which guards the Grand Harbour. A workman was at the top of it presumably carrying out some repairs. What a chief whip might describe as the plebeian element among the passengers insisted on waving to the poor sod. He may have been one hundred yards away but I am quite certain that I saw a look of open disdain on his face as his arm flapped a resigned acknowledgement back.

No comments:

Post a Comment