Friday 4 October 2013

To Race or To Watch Racing?

 

The old hocks have been playing up this week, or more accurately the right Achilles Tendon. For a change the problem has not been the result of over enthusiastic training. The problem has I think been a side affect of too much weeding in the garden. I tend to balance myself on my toes when I am hunkering down and this I believe has been the cause of this my most recent injury. On Wednesdy morning I was barely able to put my right foot on the ground. Thankfully the pain carrying neurons have slowed their progress since then, but I am only now able to walk without a hesitant limp.

 

I am supposed to be partaking of the joys of the Northern Ireland Road Relays tomorrow. I was looking forward to this event, but the possibility of a pain sourcing two mile stagger is rather worrying. Hopefully a long warm up will get enough blood flowing around my tender heal to enable me not to be too obviously the weakest link in the team. A total of twenty eight male master teams are entered. With an average age of 44 it would very unrealistic to think that we will be jockeying for a podium place, but a top ten placing might be a possibility.


If I wasn't going to the Victoria Park races I might have been tempted to paddle along to the point to point at Myroe, just outside Limavady. It has been a few years since I attended this event. I can't say that I am at all knowledgeable in relation to horse flesh although I have eaten it on a couple of occasions! I do however appreciate the strength, power, grace and configuration of the horse. They are also much quicker on their feet than I am.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment