Tuesday 30 July 2013

Garden Pal

Tiny Pal - 29th July 2013

 

Turnips don't seem to be the most popular of vegetables. Maybe it is the memory of the orange coloured and over boiled mush that school kitchens used to dole out. Anyhows, whatever the reason, many people turn up their noses at the thought of renewing their acquaintance with this humble root vegetable. However grown quickly they have a very sweet taste and the flesh needs little cooking and of course they can be used raw in salads.

 

As well as growing a standard garden turnip this year, (Purple Milan), I also sowed a short row of a small turnip called, "Tiny Pal." They only grow to golfball size, but as they can be grown close together productivity is probably as great as with a larger turnip and they are ready for picking after some ten weeks. With such a short seed to plate timespan I am sowing a further row of this little turnip in the ground vacated by the early potatoes. So long as there are no severe frosts I should be able to keep picking them well into November.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I popped over from josephine's garden to have a look. You have a lovely blog! I'm definitely inspired to grow turnips now, I've always wanted to try but I've been put off by the taste from memory. Yours look so beautiful, I will definitely get some seed next year. Calabrese look good too, mine is pathetic in comparison :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind words. I am glad that you have enjoyed my posts. If you or any of you friends would like to sign up as, "followers." please do so.

      Delete