Thursday 6 June 2013

Exam Weather

 

I used never to enjoy the month of June. It wasn't that I remember it as a month of bad weather, quite the reverse in fact. What took the shine off the sixth month of the year for me was the prospect of exams. It wasn't just the exams themselves, it was also the hours of revision. I felt guilty if I took a few hours away from my solitary crammer to work in the garden or to go to an athletics meet.

 

if the weather was good and memory tells me it was, then this exam month became even more intolerable. I remember pulling the curtains in my bedroom so that I wouldn't see the sunlight. More than thirty years since I sat my last exam I can now enjoy exam weather free of guilt and free of anxiety, or at least free of exam anxiety.

 

Yesterday's weather was certainly vintage exam weather. Perhaps not as fine a vintage as we tasted in 1975 or 1976, but still a much needed improvement on what passed for spring.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment