Monday 3 June 2013

Anyone for Strawberries ?

 

Still three weeks to Wimbleton, but I have been able to pull the first strawberries. Hardly a glut, but enough to provide a garnish for a bowl of artery furring cream!

 

I have to concede that these strawberries have had the benefit of life in an unheated greenhouse. For a few years now I have been growing some strawberry plants under the staging. I don't know what variety the strawberry plants are, but in addition to the standard plants there are also a few alpine strawberries. It is always July before the latter start cropping.

 

I am only using a third of the available space under the staging for the strawberry crop so I think that I will grow on some of the runners this year and hopefully increase the crop in the years to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment