Tuesday 17 July 2012

Potato Fest


Sharpe's Express 16th July 2012
I dug my first top of potatoes of the year a week ago, but they were rather small for cropping. Yesterday I tried another top. The week of extra growth has made a big difference and I can now safely delete potatoes from the weekly shopping list. I have always grown Sharpe's Express as my first early. It was the variety that my grandparents grew and I have followed suit.

In common with most if not all earlies they are not big yielders, but their taste in conjunction with their blemish free and thin skin more than makes up for this. The variety is reported to have a low resistance to blight on both foliage and tubers, but this is not something that I have experienced. They were planted on 16th March.

No comments:

Post a Comment