Monday 11 May 2015

Hare Day.

 

When I folded back the shutters in the study this morning I noticed that I had a four legged visitor in the garden. Not the usual rabbit or grey squirrel but a rather larger mammalian specimen. It was an Irish hare or to give it its Latin tag, Lepus timidus hibernicus.

When moving slowly its long back legs gave it a rather awkward lolloping action. The legs seemed to be just too long for its body. In full flight its cadence was smooth, fast and incisive. It was slightly spooked by my movement but for a short time the desire to graze kept it in the vicinity of the front lawn before its inherent timidity dictated a sprint away from my view. Maybe it was the meowing call of a circling buzzard that was the ultimate catalyst for its speedy departure.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment